An Open Letter To My Teachers

09:00

Dear Teachers,

First up, you're hella cool. You have one of the most undervalued jobs in the world. I mean, passing on knowledge to the future lawmakers, doctors, writers. Influencing the ways in which our children see our society and encouraging them to challenge it. In my experience, my teachers taught me not only to look outside the box, take notes, observe. But to explore. Everything. You see, what teachers do is to look both inside and outside the box: to study and follow along with the regimes in our society, and then to question, to challenge and then to teach us to do the same. That's power right there.

Through my schooling life: Primary --> Yr7 --> Yr13 Prom


So to my teachers:

Thank you to my year six maths teacher, who, despite hearing other teachers call me bossy, a know-it-all, suggest to my parents I get tested for ADHD, saw past all that and appreciated a bright, eccentric, chatty ten-year old, who loved to learn.

Thank you to my piano teacher of many years, who listened to me chat about my exciting day making a leaf print aged six, then supporting me when I became decidely more introverted aged seventeen... yet, through all my personal development and change, kept my passion for music alive and managed to get me to Grade 8 by the time I left school.

GCSE Music circa. 2014


Thank you to my year seven English teacher, who was the first to tell me that my writing could do something; to appreciate that while it may be different, different is good and exciting. You instilled in me a fire for writing that never, ever went away. I am so lucky to have been taught by you at A Level too - your witty sense of humour kept me smiling, and your sincere pick-me-up talks kept me sane.

Thank you to my key stage three German teacher, who despite all the laughing and messing-around I did in your classes, never told me to shut up and never acted like my chattiness was a bad thing. In the worst years of my school life, when I'd come to your class with bruises on my arms, and tears in my eyes from the bullying, you appreciated that my quirks were my way of showing enthusiasm for your subject. You helped me grow as a linguist, so I felt confident enough to travel solo in German-speaking countries when I left school.

Side by side: Cast member/director and a 'candid' polaroid


Thank you to my first director of my first ever musical, who is now my absolute best friend. You brought me out of my shell and you showed me that aiming high and working hard to achieve the best might get you jealousy and a bit of shunning from your peers, but it gets you the best rewards in the end (including a super amazing best friend!)

Thank you to my sixth form drama teacher, who took me onboard for A level, even though I hadn't much previous experience, simply because she saw the passion I had and the willingness in me to learn more. I'm now studying drama at university and hoping to work in theatre in the future.

A shot from my end of first year drama performance


Thank you to my A level music teacher, for your emotional support and cups of tea. Thank you for showing me that not all classical music is dull, there is a lot of repertoire that I really like and discovered in your lessons. I am now a music scholar at my university and embarking on a career path, as a Musical Director.

And thank you to my year thirteen English teacher, for your companionship at lunchtime when the girls in the common room were putting me down, when I was being harrassed online and in person, when I was left voicemails telling me I'd be better off dead. I never told you any of that, but stapling your display boards after school made me feel like I still had a purpose. Your sense of humour is very similar to mine and it made lonelier days slightly more bareable knowing you'd be around during a free.

*

To every school teacher, whether you realise it or not, you have an impact on the children you teach - every single day. And it's often way more than you realise. Teachers often take the form of a mentor, a counsellor, a friendly face, the wisest person in the world, and sometimes the silliest when you need a laugh. Teachers remind me of actors sometimes, they take on so many roles and somehow always know all the lines to say.

Teachers, you're great. Keep it up.

Love,

Hannah


P.S: Leave me a comment - who is/ was your favourite teacher and why? That's all for today!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook