Trying Something New: How to Face Your Fears (3 steps)

09:00

Ever since I left home, I've developed an outlook on my life that says 'If not now, when?' and 'If you're scared of it, do it.' The leaps of faith I have taken have proven to be the most rewarding, especially long-term. This year, I founded and became President of a society at my university, all because a friend said to me, "Hannah, that's a great idea. Do it." For once I listened, I didn't procrastinate and I didn't fill myself with unnecessary doubt.

I'm spending three months of this year teaching at a summer camp, in a continent I've never been to before. I'm travelling alone, I know nobody in the place I'll be staying and lack of signal in the countryside, plus long working hours and time differences, likely means I'll have limited contact time with my folks at home. All in all, I'm absolutely bricking it. But I know it's going to be one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. And when is an opportunity like this going to come again?

Here's how you can do the same...

Being adventurous: A shot from my solo Europe trip last summer


1. Plans into Action

How many times have you said you'll do something, but never got round to it. Maybe you want to write a book, take a round-the-world trip, even go skydiving! Whatever it is, there are people on this planet who are doing it, so you can take those long-shot dreams and shoot them into action. Make a list of everything you want to do and under each one, write down three action points to help you get there. Here's one from my list to get you started:

♡  Goal: Release a full-length album
  1. Get inspired --> yoga/walking/life experiences
  2. Get writing --> aim for 1 new song per week
  3. Record and release! --> get a band together, book the studio, go!
Notice the word goal. Stop calling them dreams and start doing!


2. Get An Accountability Bud!

As somebody who is trying to live an adventurous life (and also a raging extrovert!) I like to think it's my duty to push the limits of those closest to me, to make sure they're living fulfilling lives too! Like I mentioned earlier, at the start of my vocal society, I had a friend who checked up on me often to make sure I was setting the wheels in motion and it was super helpful. For people worried they don't have enough time to be adventurous, have someone push you - a best friend, cousin, aunt - anybody who you trust to bring out the best in you.


3. Don't Be Afraid of Fear

Like the wonderful Hermione Granger told us, "Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself." I'm guilty of it, we all are. My best friend recently asked if I'd run a marathon and I immediately became anxious - as someone with severe asthma and lower back problems, the very idea of people watching me exercise fills me with dread... ughhh. But I'm trying to stop that reaction because if I follow step 1, I might just find I'm able to do it. Fear is a total mental mindset that your brain creates based on past experiences and information. But if you can push past that, many people do what you want to do, so why shouldn't you?


What's your biggest dream goal? Let me know in the comments!


Hannah xoxo

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook